Title: A Letter
Author: Inwe Elanesse
Email:
jack_sparrow_luver@yahoo.ca
Rating: PG for gruesome eeeew
Pairing: Jack/Norrington
Warnings: Psuedo-character death.
Disclaimer: Pirates of the Caribbean, affiliates, actors, etc., do not belong to me. Just the storyline.
Summary: Jack has a nightmare and writes a letter.

A Letter
by Inwe Elanesse

* * *

James
Last night I dreamt you died.

Don't.

I dreamt that it was my fault. I hesitated. I was scared. It cost you your life.

Through the smoke and the fog, I could barely make out your form, and only in the flashes of cannon fire. You stood tall, shouting orders, the image of military precision, perfection, on top of the world.

You couldn't see the danger, for it was at your back. You didn't understand, you couldn't see. I tried to warn you. I tried to make my way to you.

A bayonet at your neck, but you couldn't see. I drew my weapon, came to your side, and stopped, just stopped.

A naval officer's death would condemn me, condemn you to condemn me, to my own. I hesitated.

I remember not seeing the end of the knife come out of the front of your neck, but I see it in my mind's eye as clearly as I can see the sneer on his face, one of your own men, before I blew off his head.

I remember that I missed the last bit of light fading from your eyes. I remember you face down on the brick, hat blown away, wig fallen aside. I remember that the brown of your hair looked so dark against the pale white of your skin. I remember that the blood staining the brick soaked into my shoes.

Last night, I watched you die.

Don't.

September 22, 1704
CJS


* * *